Saturday 11 May 2013

Bag Designing

A Huge area of development within my recent project is bag design. i have never made my own large bag before, and the thought of creating my own pattern scares
 me at the moment. Therefore, i have chosen this timeless pattern; the Amy Butler Weekender Travel Bag. Its perfect. its a beautiful shape and it *looks* simple enough.. i know it will be tough but i have to understand the construction of this beauty before i go and attempt to make my own patterns!!

Okay i have a confession - i did attempy this four years ago and cried the whole way through. round two..?

Okay so designing.. work from your drawings. draw alot. find a technique... then design the actual bags. be prepared to repeat alot of your colourways and designs.. i had two large pockets, two main panels  two side pockets and two top panels as well as a lining to decide on a pattern for; you can only imagine how many combos i could have created!

Here is a visual of some of my designs. i worked quite large (regrets, regrets..) so it was pretty time consuming but i like the look of them :)

dont give up! also - annotate everything.. those things you think are such a great idea you will deffo still remember them next week when you are printing.. they wont stick! write it down!

1 comment:

  1. A Huge area of development within drawstring carrier bags my recent project is bag design. i have never made my own large bag before, and the thought of creating my own pattern scares

    ReplyDelete